- Tuesday, October 25
- 10:45 AM - 12:00 PM
The session "Strategies for Effective Pain Management in Clinical Practice - Part 2" (1.25 hours) is designed to satisfy CME/CE requirements on patient safety/risk management, pain management, and prescribing opioids/controlled substances.
1. Discuss all options for pain management, including non-pharmacologic and pharmacologic approaches
2. Explain the definitions and mechanisms of pain
3. Identify the appropriate pain assessment and assessment of potential risk factors for abuse and opioid use disorder/addiction
4. Improve prescribers’ knowledge, competence and performance in the area of integrating opioids into individualized treatment plans to meet the needs of patients and managing those patients 5. Recognize best practices to reduce the risks associated with prescription of opioid analgesics, as well as, safe storage and disposal
6. Summarize counseling strategies, including counseling about the use of naloxone for opioid overdose 7. Recognize opioid use disorder and act appropriately to treat or refer those patients
Dr. Galluzzi is professor and chair of the Department of Geriatrics and director of Comprehensive Care at the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine in Pennsylvania. Dr. Galluzzi received her medical degree from the West Virginia School of Oste...